Command Master Chief Mark Williamson (retired) began his career in the U.S. Navy in August of 1984 after graduating high school from Utica Free Academy. After boot camp in Great Lakes, IL he reported for duty as a deck seaman aboard the USS Oak Ridge ARDM-1. In 1986 he was accepted in Hospital Corpsman "A," reporting back to Great Lakes, IL. After graduation he reported for duty as General Corpsman at Navy Hospital Pensacola, Florida.
His service career included:
- Petty Officer Third Class at Naval Air Station Clinic.
- Line Corpsman at 2nd Battalion 3rd Marines in Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.
- 1989 promoted to Petty Officer Second Class and Deployed to Desert Shield/Desert Storm.
- 1991 transferred to Field Medical Service School as troop handler/instructor.
- 1993 promoted to Petty Officer 1st Class.
- 1995 transferred to Surface Force Independent Duty School in Portsmouth, VA.
- After graduating in 1996 transferred to USS Waterford ARD-5 Groton, CT for duty as Senior Medical Department Representative. Promoted to Chief Petty Officer in September 1996.
- 1997 transferred to USS Nicholson DD982 and deployed to Southeast Asia in support of Operation Desert Fox in Kosovo with Operation Allied Force/Noble Anvil.
- 1999 promoted to Senior Chief Petty Officer and selected to attend the Senior Enlisted Academy in Newport, RI. Transferred to Naval Academy Branch Medical Clinic for duty as Brigade Activities Officer and Director Senior Chief for Preventive Services.
- 2002 promoted to Master Chief Petty Officer and transferred to Field Medical Service School Camp Lejeune, NC for duty as Command Master Chief.
- 2004 transferred to 2nd Marine Division as Command Master Chief.
- Deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom III in February 2005.
- 2006 returned to Camp Lejeune as Command Master Chief for 2nd Marine Division.
- Retired February 28, 2007.
- During his 23 year career he received 21 decorations and medals including the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star.
His personal decorations include the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star, Meritorious Service Medal, Navy Commendation Medal (3d award), Navy Achievement Medal (4th award), Combat Action Ribbon, Navy Unit Citation (3d award), Meritorious Unit Citation, Battle "E" (2d award), Fleet Marine Force Ribbon, Armed Forces Expeditionary Service Medal, Southwest Asia Service Medal with 2 Bronze Stars and FMF device, Kosovo Campaign Medal with 2 Bronze Stars, Iraq Campaign Medal with 2 Bronze Stars and FMF device, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Armed Force Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon (4th award), NATO Medal (2d award) Kuwait Liberation Medal, Saudi Arabia Service Medal, Rifle Expert Medal, Pistol Expert Medal.
Command Master Chief Williamson (retired) was born In Utica, NY. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Management from Bellevue University and a Masters in Science in Management from Keuka College. He holds an advanced Superintendent of Schools certification from Utica College. He is also designated as Master Training Specialist through the U.S. Navy. He lives in Utica and leads Utica's Proctor High School R.O.T.C. and serves on the City of Utica Common Council.